Blue Ridge Hospital

Abatement, Demolition and Stabilization of Buildings for Future Renovation

Working with the University of Virginia Foundation, PDG provided construction management for this unusual project. Blue Ridge was built over several decades in the early 1900s to house and treat tuberculosis patients. For many years the site has been abandoned and the State of Virginia has given title of the 140-acre property to the University. This is one of the largest demolition projects in recent Virginia history with over twenty buildings slated to be abated of hazardous materials and then dismantled. Nine buildings have been identified by the Virginia Department of Historic Resources Board and the Foundation as being suitable for future historic renovation or adaptive re-use. Much of the brick, block and concrete will be crushed on site and stockpiled for use when parking and road beds are constructed during future development.

PDG  provided scheduling and supervision of all stabilization efforts required to preserve the selected buildings slated for future use. We managed seven trade contractors and maintain strict quality control and security for this historic site. This was a complex undertaking involving the input and coordination of site engineers, utility engineers, historic planners and permit officials. .

The Lyman mansion was built in 1895 by a wealthy family with a child stricken by tuberculosis. This house and family were at the core of the Sanitarium in the early years. The structure is literally crumbling away; however our engineering and stabilization plan will ensure that this bit of history will be preserved as a central piece in the development plans of the Foundation. The chapel is particularly important in the history of the Hospital because it was constructed entirely with funds from patients receiving care that could sometimes last for years. This project started in early 2007 and will be completed by the end of the year.